When Can One Parent Relocate With The Children?

Family responsibilities, job prospects and other life opportunities may make it desirable to relocate to a new city, state or even country. However, when minor children are involved, moving away is not always easy. The custody rights of both parents must be taken into account, as well as the interests of the children.

At The Law Offices of George A. Martinez, our first priority is protecting your parental rights. Whether you are seeking to relocate with your children, or want to prevent your children from moving away, we can help. For more than 35 years, parents in Placer County have trusted attorney George Martinez to advocate for them and their children during move-away disputes.

Relocation Requires Court Approval

In California, parents generally must get court approval before relocating with their children. Relocating can mean moving to another country, state, county or city. Any move that may impact custody arrangements must be evaluated.

Unless you have sole physical custody of your children and their other parent does not see the children or sees them very infrequently, you will need court approval to move away.

When making their decision, courts will determine whether relocation is in the children's best interests. This includes evaluating many factors such as:

  • The reason for the move
  • The distance of the move
  • Current custody arrangements and parent-child relationships
  • The age and wishes of the children
  • The effect relocation will have on the children's physical, mental and emotional health
  • The impact the move will have on the children's education

While courts cannot prevent a parent from relocating, it can prevent children from moving away with their parent. Whether the relocation is allowed or denied, child custody and visitation modifications may be required.

At The Law Offices of George A. Martinez, we represent parents who wish to move away with their children as well as those hoping to prevent relocation. No matter what your goal, we will work hard to achieve it.

We Can Help. Contact Us Today.

Any time your parental rights are at stake, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. If you are divorced, or were never married, and wish to relocate or prevent a move, contact our firm. Over the years, we have helped many parents like you protect their parent-child bonds and take advantage of life opportunities. Call us today at 866-936-5194.